Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fall Adjustments

It's definitely fall, as a matter of fact the last few days seemed like full on winter, with over 3" of rain, wind, hail, lightning, thunder, and even a few moments of snow. Desire had to wear a polar fleece under her midweight turnout to stay warm and she, Sheza, and the mini all loafed in the barn for a few days. Blaze, with his wildly woolly coat, was not impressed, nor were Joey and the goats. Blaze finally got a new winter blanket, this time just a rain sheet, as he really doesn't need the fill with his thick coat:
 Hot mashes for all
 I trimmed Sheza's fronts in an epic battle on Sunday, and today while waiting for the equine bodywork gal to make it out for Desire, I trimmed Sheza's hinds. She was much better for the hinds and I got them done in half the time, taking out lots of old gunky sole and shedding frog, and take plenty of toe. Now we are back around to Desire again, she's got some toe to take off, and I did Blaze's fronts the other day but need to do his hinds. I am loving having the knowledge, power, and good tools to be able to take care of my horse's hooves whenever and wherever I want!

The equine bodywork was a good experience! I have used 3 or 4 different people now and I liked this lady the best and will have her back if I need anyone. Desire's shoulders and hips were out of whack, as well as her spine crackling like popcorn back into place when she hit the pressure points in the quarters that trigger them to lift their frame. Desire was very snarky faced in reaction to some of the work, no doubt it was uncomfortable, but the releases were obvious in her softened eye, licking and chewing, and head shaking, if not obvious audibly and visibly! I had the lady look at Blaze as well but as usual he was declared quite loose and well adjusted. She found the comparison of two of the same age horses quite interesting, and I have to agree. Blaze and Desire are both 16 (Blaze give or take a year, he isn't papered), and from what I know Blaze has been used harder in his life. Desire was started late and while trail ridden, only did 2 50s, as a 14 yr old, before I got her. Blaze was passed around a lot in life, has done everything from gymkhana to working cows to being a lesson horse to a couple hundred miles of LDs. Blaze rolls multiple times every day, stretches on his own time, and is quite flexible. Desire never rolls, doesn't stretch much, and is overall a tenser and more uptight horse. Her flexibility isn't as good and she is overall stiffer and creakier than Blaze. Interesting!

And now some pics of my beautiful filly!
 Naughty about to spazz face
 Never go anywhere without your SuperTurkey sidekick
 What're you doing?? Trying to take your picture, go away. Why? What are you doing??


Always curious about what's going on Out There
 Critters ready for some sunlight after the storm
 A look at the flaxen potential of Sheza's glorious mane!

 It's really gotten long!
 "Who me?" Joey

You're annoying. Blaze

No comments:

Post a Comment